COMPTON — Marciano Coborubio says he would like the FBI agents who shot and killed his brother David Coborubio Jr. Aug. 26 to pay by going to prison.
His family has filed one lawsuit against the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department and another against the FBI, and they also plan to sue the city of Compton for tens of millions altogether. Still, they insist the suits are about justice, not money.
The 25-year-old sheet metal worker says it is ironic that he works for a company that makes sturdy metal materials for the federal government, but that a few weeks ago that same federal government took the life of his brother, something that still keeps him awake at night.
“It’s been difficult. I haven’t returned to my old sleeping pattern,” Coborubio said. “I still wake up two to three times in the night.”
FBI agents stormed the home of Mona Martinez in the 14000 block of White Avenue in Compton that fateful Thursday night, in search of Paul Edmund White whom they say absconded or disappeared in violation of his parole.
Martinez says when they arrived they went to the back of the house and shot her son, David, then moved his body to the street. He was later pronounced dead at a hospital.
FBI officials say it would be inappropriate for them to comment on the lawsuit against them, since the government will respond in court, but they provided a few new details about the shooting.
They say a confrontation took place that night between an armed Coborubio and an agent who was a member of the Los Angeles FBI SWAT Team as they executed the search and arrest warrants for White. FBI officials say the agent fired at Coborubio and then their medic and members of the L.A. City Fire Department immediately relocated him to a safe location and rendered aid.
Officials say the agents recovered a gun after the incident. They say the warrants were executed in support of a task force on which the FBI participates in the city of Compton known as the Violence Reduction Initiative.
In the three weeks since the shooting, the family’s anger at the FBI has not abated.
“They took what they wanted to take from my life,” the younger Coborubio said. “And they just left us on the ground to pick up the pieces.”
His mother agreed.
“They’re coming in to kill us, not protect us,” she said.
Mona Martinez’ younger son Marciano said a group of between 20 and 30 people went to make their voice heard and protest at City Hall Sept. 13, and that the City Council changed the schedule on them, so they left. Martinez said she is taking a stand with these lawsuits.
“Since the city wants to play hardball, I’m going to play hardball back,” she said. “No one’s ever gone up against them to make some noise. I will.”
Martinez said the upcoming lawsuit against the city of Compton will include the individual council members also. The family expects a large group will show up when they file the lawsuit to protest and hold signs with Coborubio’s name, and the names of others they say have died at the hands of police.
That’s what the protesters did when the family’s attorney filed the lawsuit against the FBI at the Federal Building in downtown Los Angeles earlier this month.
FBI officials say an investigation of the shooting is ongoing by the FBI’s Inspection Division and that it is being overseen by the Justice Department’s Office of the Inspector General.
The family plans to hold another protest on Oct. 22 at 11 a.m. near Compton City Hall. A group called the October 22nd Coalition has used the date as a national day of protest since 1996 to “stop police brutality, repression and criminalization of a generation.”