LOS ANGELES — Chris Paul, Blake Griffin, Dale Earnhardt Jr., LeBron James and Aaron Rodgers are among the athletes receiving nominations for the second annual Kids’ Choice Sports 2015 awards.
Rodgers, the quarterback of the Green Bay Packers, and James, the Cleveland Cavaliers superstar, were nominated for best male athlete. Also competing will be soccer great Lionel Messi, Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim slugger Mike Trout, golfer Rory McIlroy, Seattle Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson, Golden State Warriors guard and NBA MVP Stephen Curry and Dodgers pitcher Clayton Kershaw.
Nominated for best female athlete were soccer stars Abby Wambach and Alex Morgan, the Los Angeles Sparks’ Candace Parker, NASCAR driver Danica Patrick, tennis great Maria Sharapova, Minnesota Lynx basketball star Maya Moore, tennis champ Serena Williams and golfer Stacy Lewis.
Winners will be determined by online voting that began June 8. The awards will be handed out July 16 at UCLA’s Pauley Pavilion. Wilson will host the ceremony.
Included in the ceremony will be a chance for kids aged 9-14 to win $50,000 during the show by either hitting a half-court basketball shot, hitting the crossbar of a soccer goal from 22 yards away or throwing a football into a target from 30 yards away. Auditions will be held in three locations across the country, with the basketball challenge planned for June 27 in downtown Los Angeles.
Also during the awards show, retired New York Yankee Derek Jeter will receive the Legend Award, in recognition of “his unmatched talent, integrity and sportsmanship on and off the field,” making him a worldwide role model.
Other nominees included:
• Favorite newcomer: Amy Purdy, professional snowboarder; Andrew Wiggins, NBA Minnesota Timberwolves; Joey Logano, NASCAR; Jordan Spieth, PGA; Jose Abreu, MLB Chicago White Sox; Malcolm Butler, NFL New England Patriots; Mikaela Shiffrin, professional alpine ski racer; and Odell Beckham Jr., NFL New York Giants.
• Hands of gold: Andrew McCutchen, MLB Pittsburgh Pirates; Carey Price, NHL Montreal Canadiens; Dez Bryant, NFL Dallas Cowboys; Henrik Lundqvist, NHL New York Rangers; Mike Trout, MLB Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim; Odell Beckham Jr., NFL New York Giants; Pekka Rinne, NHL Nashville Predators; and Rob Gronkowski, NFL New England Patriots.
• Clutch player of the year: Abby Wambach, U.S. Women’s Soccer; Alexander Ovechkin, NHL Washington Capitals; Cristiano Ronaldo, international soccer; DeMarco Murray, NFL Dallas Cowboys; Marshawn Lynch, NFL Seattle Seahawks; Maya Moore, WNBA Minnesota Lynx; Rob Gronkowski, NFL New England Patriots; and Stephen Curry, NBA Golden State Warriors.
• Sickest moves: Ashley Wagner, U.S. Figure Skating; Blake Griffin, NBA Los Angeles Clippers; Gabriel Medina, professional surfer; Lionel Messi, international soccer; Novak Djokovic, professional tennis; Ronda Rousey, UFC; Sidney Crosby, NHL Pittsburgh Penguins; and Stephen Curry, NBA Golden State Warriors.
• Don’t try this at home award: Dale Earnhardt Jr., NASCAR; Danny Davis, professional snowboarder; Kelly Clark, professional snowboarder; Lindsey Vonn, professional alpine ski racer; Nyjah Huston, professional skateboarder; and Travis Pastrana, motorsports.
• Most enthusiastic player: Aaron Rodgers, NFL Green Bay Packers; Cam Newton, NFL Carolina Panthers; Dwight Howard, NBA Houston Rockets; Gabby Douglas, U.S. Gymnastics; J.J. Watt, NFL Houston Texans; Novak Djokovic, professional tennis; Rob Gronkowski, NFL New England Patriots; and Serena Williams, professional tennis.
• King of swag: Cam Newton, NFL Carolina Panthers; Carmelo Anthony, NBA New York Knicks; Chris Paul, NBA Los Angeles Clippers; Cristiano Ronaldo, international soccer; LeBron James, NBA Cleveland Cavaliers; Rickie Fowler, PGA; Roger Federer, professional tennis; and Russell Wilson, NFL Seattle Seahawks.
• Queen of swag: Alex Morgan, U.S. Soccer; Lolo Jones, U.S. Track and Field and bobsled; Maria Sharapova, professional tennis; Ronda Rousey, UFC; Serena Williams, professional tennis; and Skylar Diggins, WNBA Tulsa Shock.
• Best cannon: Andrew Luck, NFL Indianapolis Colts; David Ortiz, MLB Boston Red Sox; Drew Brees, NFL New Orleans Saints; Mike Trout, MLB Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim; Peyton Manning, NFL Denver Broncos; Rafael Nadal, professional tennis; Russell Wilson, NFL Seattle Seahawks: and Serena Williams, professional tennis.
• Biggest powerhouse: Blake Griffin, NBA Los Angeles Clippers; David Ortiz, MLB Boston Red Sox; J.J. Watt, NFL Houston Texans; LeBron James, NBA Cleveland Cavaliers; Marshawn Lynch, NFL Seattle Seahawks; Prince Fielder, MLB Texas Rangers; Ronda Rousey, UFC; and Serena Williams, professional tennis.